Wheels of Justice Cycling
Our team has now raised more than $2.1 million for Children's Hospital Colorado since our start in 2005... In 2013, our sponsors and 271 cyclists raised $375,000+ for the Children’s Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders. In 2014, please join us in the fight against childhood cancer.
WoJ Update: $205K & 214 Riders; Sat. night WoJ to be honored; Thanks Coach Alison; Important Courage Classic Info
Also, please scroll down for IMPORTANT INFO YOU’LL NEED for the COURAGE CLASSIC
Great $48K week Team! We’re gaining on the #1 Pink Lightning Team, though we’re still $47K behind at this point. Do we have what it takes to push all the way to the finish line on Aug. 31?
Let’s make this a horse race until the final hour of the final day . . .and the REAL winners will be the kids being treated at Chidren’s Hospital Colorado!
1) WoJ to be honored on Saturday at 7:20pm: Please find your way to Burning Stones Plaza for a special presentation from Children’s Hospital starting at 7pm, including recognizing our team’s achievement in passing $2 MILLION in fundraising. Please wear your WoJ long-sleeved training shirt to the event and show your support!
2) WoJ SWAG SHIPPED LAST WEEK to all riders who have met their fundraising commitments! If you haven’t reached your fundraising commitment yet, please focus hard on those fundraising emails and hit your marks for the CCBD. If you make your commitment, I will have gear available for you at our WoJ Arrival Party at Copper from 4-6pm on Friday, July 18 at Alpinista restaurant, so please stop by (for more info read on!). Also if you registered after the deadline, you can submit a request at firstname.lastname@example.org, along with your size and we’ll try to accommodate you …the few extras that we have will go first to our top fundraiser swho may have under-ordered. IF YOU WANT TO TRADE SIZES, hang out at Alpinista and we’ll try to hook you up with another rider who also wants to trade. You can also post your proposed size trade on our team Facebook page
2) Thanks to our awesome Coach Alison Dunlap: Last week we had an awesome turnout for Alison’s descending clinic and we’re all better riders because of her 3 coached rides this season. Don’t forget that Alison offers WoJ riders personalized monthly training plans at discounted rates. Use discount code “wheelsofjustice”
Find out more at http://www.alisondunlapcoaching.com
3)*****IMPORTANT: WHAT’S ON AT THE COURAGE CLASSIC INFO: PLEASE READ AND BRING WITH YOU TO COPPER!
A) DONT MISS THESE SPECIAL WHEELS OF JUSTICE EVENTS AT THE 2014 COURAGE CLASSIC
FRIDAY, JULY 18 4:00 TO 6:00PM
- Wheels of Justice Arrival Party at Alpinista Restaurant on the left as you enter under the Passage Point arch towards Burning Stones Plaza.
- Alpinista’s wonderful owner Peter is reserving his entire patio for the Wheels of Justice Team. So pick up your packet at the Copper Conference Center (3:30-8:00pm) and then head over to Alpinista’s for a terrific happy hour with great drink and food specials just for us! 25% OFF for all WoJ Members and families!
- Co-Captains Heather and Bradley will be there from about 3:30pm to 6:30pm to help with apparel or any other issues, so please join us on Alpinista’s awesome patio! Wear your WoJ training shirt!
SATURDAY, JULY 19, 7:00pm
- Wear your team colors to a short and inspirational program from Children’s Hospital. The Wheels of Justice team will be recognized for our $2million fundraising acheivement around 7:20pm
SUNDAY, JULY 20, 2:00-6:00pm
- WHEELS OF JUSTICE TEAM PARTY @ JILL’S UMBRELLA BAR/KOKOPELLI ROOM (next to Jack’s)
- Join us for our annual team celebration during the Courage Classic! We’ll have free burgers, hot dogs, beer, lemonade and iced tea (while it lasts!) for team members and their families. Also, we’ll thank our wonderful sponsors and hear from the families whose lives have been changed by the Children’s Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders. Plus the CCBD doctors will let us know how the money we raise helps them in their life-saving efforts.
- **** The program will begin at 3:30pm and then at 4:35pm, we’ll head to the adjacent stairs to have our team picture taken. Please wear your WoJ training shirt to the party and picture session. YOU MUST WEAR A 2014 WOJ TRAINING SHIRT TO BE IN THE PICTURE (as we use the photos on thank-you plaques for our sponsors!!) Please wear these shirts when walking around at Copper, as we’ll be able to identify each other and it’s great PR for the team.
B) Safety & Sportsmanship at the Courage Classic: The Courage Classic is an amazing, fun and inspirational event! BUT IT’s NOT A RACE! For the last SIX years we’ve had ZERO WOJ INJURIES! (unlike 2007 when we had 3 riders go down hard). We all know that this can happen to any of us at any time when we ride this type of terrain and conditions — but we’ll help our odds by taking it easy, always signaling or announcing intentions to turn, slow or stop and being super-aware of all those around us. Many injuries happen not on the open road but in small spaces and at low speeds–like parking lots and bike paths–so make sure your periscope is up at all times. Remember, our goal this year again is ZERO WoJ injuries. Let’s all do our part.
Also please remember to be extra courteous and supportive of your fellow riders on the Tour — we are all part of the Courage Classic’s second largest team, we have the coolest swag, we were #1 for the last few years and we’re known to some as “the Lawyers’ Team” (even though we have soooo many wonderful non-lawyers and we’re now known too as the CCBD team), so people are pretty much pre-disposed to think we’re a bunch of jerks. But, as we’ve done the last eight years, let’s surprise ‘em by showing that we are actually the friendliest team – Announce yourself before you pass by saying: “on your left”, give all others a wide berth, offer to stop and help those with flats or other problems and approach the whole thing with a BIG smile and a hug, if you can. Remember, you’ll be wearing the Wheels of Justice colors, so in effect you are an ambassador for the Denver legal and business community. Last year, it was wonderful to hear so many great comments about how positively our team was perceived. Let’s keep the love going in our 9TH year!
4) NON-RIDER VOLUNTEERS NEEDED SUNDAY FOR TEAM PARTY: IS YOUR SPOUSE OR FRIEND INTERESTED IN VOLUNTEERING FOR THE TEAM AT THE COURAGE CLASSIC?: We especially need volunteers at the Team Party on Sunday July 20, starting with set-up at 1pm and with ONE-HOUR shifts continuing till 6pm. If you know of volunteers, please ask them to contact me via email.
5) SOCK IT TO the CCBD! BUY SOCKS @ THE TEAM PARTY ON SUNDAY (checks or cash only)
**** Cycling socks w/ WoJ logo! $15 (includes tax)! These socks will go well with any current or previous WoJ team kits. All profits from sock sales go to Children’s Hospital Colorado! S/M: Euro size 35-42 (about US 6 to 9) L/XL: Euro size 43-47 (about US 9.5 to 13) Sizes are approximate, but there is quite a bit of stretch in the socks.
Last year, our 271 riders raised more than $375,000 to make a real difference for the kids, families and doctors at the Children’s Hospital Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders (CCBD) – bringing our eight-year fundraising total to more than $1.98 million. In 2014, we have now passed the $2.1 million mark!
*******Our Amazing WoJ SPONSORS SO FAR have helped us to raise more than $205,000!
Lathrop & Gage
Caruso Family Foundation
Caplan and Earnest LLC
Hall & Evans
Dufford & Brown
Stern & Curray
Pryor Johnson Carney Karr Nixon
Alison Dunlap Coaching
Denver Bar Association
Colorado Bar Association
Thank you and see you on the road soon!
Please watch this inspirational Television interview with the Wheels of Justice rider Brandon Nuechterlein. Embed the video in your donation request e-mails and let people hear first hand what the CCBD is doing for people like Brandon!
Excellent job Brandon! You are an inspiration!