When you see snow on the tulips, that means two things: Spring is arriving in Colorado and the Wheels of Justice team is hitting the road -– as both cyclists AND fundraisers!
2015 will be extra-special as it will be our 10th Anniversary Year – call it “A Decade of Justice” or “WOJ X” but no matter what – let’s make it our best yet!
I have some big news and requests to share this week, including our new swag order deadline of May 14, our first training ride on May 2; and our Kick-Off Party on June 2, so please, read on!
**CLICK this link now to secure your spot on the WHEELS OF JUSTICE – The #1 Team in Colorado’s most inspiring cycling event: the 26th Annual Courage Classic, July 18-20, 2015.
Last year, our 270 riders raised more than $365,000 to make a real difference for the kids, families and doctors at the Children’s Hospital Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders (CCBD) – bringing our nine-year fundraising total to more than $2.3 million. In 2015, we aim to blow past the $2.7 million mark by raising $400,000.
1) TEAM SPONSORS NEEDED BY 5/11: Please consider approaching your firm or company to see if they will become a Wheels of Justice sponsor at the $10K, $5K or $2.5K level. We find that sponsorship “asks” are most successful when they come from the “inside” – so that means approaching your boss, business partner, vendors, clients, neighbors and others with a personal appeal to sponsor the team. Our sponsors tell us that they love seeing their logo on all of our ads, apparel and other material – from both a Marketing and a Community Service perspective. If you need help with your approach, please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org, and I can send you all of our sponsorship materials and even come to your office to make a presentation! Right now, we are behind last year’s sponsorship total, so please help if you can!
2) ORDER WoJ SWAG BY NOON on May 14: The fantastic artists at Primal are putting the finishing touches on the apparel design, but it should be released soon. If you know you’ll be riding please go ahead and place your swag asap order via http://www.wheelsofjusticecycling.org/store/
*****IMPORTANT: To be guaranteed WoJ team apparel, you will need to: a) register for the team, b) make your fundraising commitment and c) order your gear w/sizes by noon on May 14. Please go to our WoJ Apparel site to be sure you don’t miss out! [Please note that the site currently features our 2014 gear as examples].
As in past years, our FUNDRAISING INCENTIVE apparel levels are as follows (i.e., you commit to fundraise or contribute this amount and we’ll order this apparel for you): $300 = long-sleeved training shirt; $600 cycling jersey; $1250=cycling shorts; $2,000=wind jacket
****Again this year: Cycling socks w/ WoJ logo! Reserve your pair now @ $15!
****NO TICKEE, NO JERSEY! When your swag order is received, within 24 hours you should receive a confirmation email with all of your info (i.e., sizes and fundraising commitments). Please double check this email to make sure all is right. If you don’t receive this confirmation, then we have NOT received your order, and you need to TAKE ACTION ASAP. Please contact us at email@example.com so that we can correct any problems.
***WOJ LOVES OUR SUB-TEAMS and we want to share our apparel with you! lf you are part of a small team that plans to merge with WoJ to ensure your $$ goes to the CCBD, please remember that – if you want to receive WoJ swag — your team must complete the merger with WoJ, and apparel orders and commitments must be submitted via our site, by May 14 @ noon. If you have questions, please feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.
3) JOIN US FOR THE FIRST TRAINING RIDE OF THE SEASON: Saturday MAY 2 @ 10:30am.
Robert and I will host the first team training ride – we met at the first training ride of the 2009 season! We’ll take our traditional route from our home in West Highlands (3427 Osceola St.) to the Golden Starbucks and back, with a Lookout Mtn option available to those who are feeling especially frisky.
Training Ride: Highlands to Golden via Clear Creek Path w/Lookout Mountain Option
Saturday, May 2, 2015 Wheels Up at 10:30a – Coffee & bagels starting at 9:30am
3427 Osceola St, Denver, CO (map)
Training Ride Host: Robert Leja
Please RSVP by noon Friday May 1 to Robert at Robertleja@gmail.com, mobile phone: 970-217-3304
Meeting Location: 3427 Osceola Street, Denver, CO (Heather & Robert Leja’s house)
Directions from I-25. Take Exit 212 (Speer Boulevard) and head northwest. Turn left (west) on 32nd Avenue. Turn right (north) on Osceola Street.
Ride will start at 10:30 a.m. sharp ON SATURDAY. – please RSVP.
We will take the Clear Creek Path to Golden (about 15 miles one-way). From the Golden Starbucks on Washington, you can either return to my house via 32nd Ave or take optional ride up Lookout Mtn, which is a 5 mile-2000 vertical ft climb, then return to our house.
Please RSVP to Robert by noon Friday, May1 if you will be going. Check the WoJ Facebook page http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/group.php?gid=58302100863&ref=nf for weather cancellation news by 8am Saturday.
So how can you help us get the 2015 10TH ANNIVERSARY bandwagon rolling?
6) DON’T MISS THE WOJ KICK-OFF PARTY, Tuesday, June 2 5:30-7:30pm @ The Denver Post
Thanks to WoJ leader Linda Bradford, we’ll be back for the third year at the Atrium of the Denver Post building at 101 W. Colfax Ave. for our party. (NW corner of Broadway and Colfax — Public parking is available in the attached garage at 15th and Cleveland.). As always, we’ll have great food and drink and be reminded of why we do all of this – by listening to stories of hope and courage from patients, families and doctors at the Children’s Hospital Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders! If you want to help with the party or have idea for Event Sponsors ($1000/$500/$250 levels available), please email us at email@example.com
7) VOLUNTEER TO LEAD A TRAINING RIDE: WoJ rides help us get in shape for the Courage Classic, help build our team’s awesome camaraderie and also introduce us to our teammates’ favorite rides. Team rides start May 2 and continue every weekend until the Courage Classic (July 18-20). This year our friends WATSON will be organizing the rides. Please contact Ben Maxwell at firstname.lastname@example.org to volunteer to host.
8) START SENDING OUT EMAILS TO YOUR CONTACTS: This is the “secret” that lies at the core of all of our fundraising. It’s simple but powerful. You tell your friend (or colleague, client, vendor or neighbor) about the amazing, life-saving work happening at the Children’s Center for Cancer and Blood Disorders; then explain the personal commitment you’ve made to this cause by training for months to ride 157 miles through the Rockies; and finally ask your friend to share in this crazy, beautiful effort by clicking a link and making a tax-deductible contribution. When we each make the effort to make as many of these “asks” as possible, we know from experience that a huge ripple of good will is unleashed that translates into millions of dollars to help in the fight against childhood cancer. So please load up those contacts onto your Courage Classic rider page, cast your net wide and hit SEND. You’ll never know, till you ask!
9) LIKE US AND JOIN US ON FACEBOOK! Keep up to date with the Wheels of Justice team and spread the word by “liking” us on Facebook! https://www.facebook.com/WheelsofJusticeTeam
You can also join our WoJ Facebook Group to coordinate with your teammates on things like training ride meet-ups and travel plans for Copper https://www.facebook.com/#!/groups/58302100863
Our Amazing 2015 WoJ SPONSORS SO FAR have helped us to raise more than $52,500!
Holland & Knight
Caruso Family Foundation
Pryor Johnson Carney Karr Nixon
Hall & Evans
Western States Fire Protection Co.
Colorado Bar Association
Denver Bar Association
Thank you and see you on the road soon!